Diabetes Specialist Services - Central Lancashire
Specialist Diabetes Service - Central Lancashire
The Specialist Diabetes Service supports people within the Preston, Chorley and South Ribble area who require specialist support in order to look after their Diabetes. The team consists of specialist nurses, dietitians, Link Worker and administration support staff who work with individuals, their families and carers when specialist care is needed.
The Specialist Diabetes Service provides support in the following ways:
- Runs Education Programmes for type 1 and type 2 diabetes, so that the person with diabetes may better understand how to live with the condition and how to get the best out of life style changes and treatments used to control diabetes
- Assess, plan and make changes in treatments. We support people to make life style changes and fully involve the person, aiming to empower the individual to become an expert in their own care
- Act as an expert resource for other healthcare professionals who support you in managing your diabetes
- In-reach service for people with diabetes who are an in-patient at the Royal Preston Hospital and the local mental health units
- Home visits for the housebound, frail, or those with a clinical need
- Prison visits for inmates with diabetes
Ethnic Community Support
An Asian Link Worker works with the Diabetes Specialist Team to provide interpretation during consultations for those patients whose first language is not English. She also gives support to Asian patients and community in relation to diabetes and diabetes education.
How to access the service
To access the Specialist Diabetes Service to work with specialist nurses, a referral is required either from your Primary Care team (GP or Practice Nurse) or from other healthcare professionals, such as Hospital Doctors.
To access Dietitians a referral may be sent from your GP or Specialist Doctor or you can refer yourself following attendance at DESMOND education sessions. For more information on DESMOND, please visit the information page.
To attend an education programme for either Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes you are able to refer yourself.
Where the service is provided and how to contact us
The service is based at:
Minerva Health Centre
Clinics are also run from Chorley & South Ribble District Hospital.
Education sessions are run from Minerva Health Centre, Chorley Diabetes Centre, Life Style Centre Chorley and various community venues.
Home visits are arranged where necessary.
The Specialist team also in-reach into Royal Preston Hospital, Guild Lodge, Ribbleton Hospital and HMP Prison.
To contact the Specialist Diabetes Team
Tel: 01772 777621
To contact the team in order to access an Education Programme
Tel: 01772 777620
For further information about Diabetes, you can contact Diabetes UK:
Tel: 020 7424 1000
Fax: 020 7424 1001
For Information on the DESMOND education programme, you can contact locally 01772 777620 or visit their website DESMOND Project
For Information on courses run for BME groups, you can contact locally 01772 777620, or visit their website
Patient Information Leaflets
With our leaflets we aim to give you information about the Trust in general, our services and treatments, and to provide useful information for service users and their carers.