Falls Prevention Service
The Falls Prevention Service is a multidisciplinary specialist service for older people who have fallen or are at risk of falling. Following assessment a care plan is collaboratively agreed with the individual for intervention and management of further falls. The service provides education to public and staff for raising awareness and prevention of falls and fracture in Central Lancashire.
The principle functions of the service are:
- To provide a multifactorial falls risk assessment for individuals at risk of falling.
- To develop patient centred action plans to maximise the older person’s potential for independent living
- To reduce the risk of falls and injuries
- To educate and raise falls prevention awareness with multi-organisations, agencies, carers and the public
- To deliver interventions for falls preventions, e.g. provision of equipment, strength and balance training, post fracture exercise interventions and rehabilitation.
The service operates Monday to Friday 9am to 4.30pm, excluding bank holidays.
The service includes the following staff:
- Occupational therapist
- Rehabilitation assistants
We work closely with other health care professionals, voluntary sector, GPs and hospital consultants, patients, relatives and carers.
How to access the service
The Service has a referral form but can accept letter/telephone referrals. The service has designated clinicians available each day to discuss referrals. All referrals are screened and allocated for assessment on an individual basis and according to need. The service has an open referral access, including self, carers and relatives.
Patients require some level of mobility to access the service and should be resident within Central Lancashire.
Where this service is provided
The team will see patients at:
- Patients' own home, including supported housing and sheltered accommodation
- Temporary accommodation
- Residential and Nursing Homes
- Outpatient Clinics: Minerva Health Centre and Chorley Health Centre
Minerva Health Centre
Chorley Health Centre
Wheelchair Assessment Centre
Where we are based and how to contact us
One point of access for Referrals to:
Community Rehabilitation Services
Lancashire Enterprise Business Park
Tel: 01772 777999
Fax: 01772 520520
Southport & Formby
The service supports people 65 years and over, living at home, or in a residential/nursing home, who are functionally mobile and able to follow instructions. Falls related to alcohol or substance misuse should be directed to addition services.
We provide assessment and treatment for people who have fallen or are at high risk of falls, to improve independence in activities of daily living.
As part of a treatment plan we may offer rehabilitation and confidence building, equipment and minor adaptations, education and advice to individuals and community groups, and referral onto other services and agencies.
Monday 08:30 - 16:30
Tuesday 08:30 - 16:30
Wednesday 08:30 - 16:30
Thursday 08:30 - 16:30
Friday 08:30 - 16:30
How do you make a referral to this service?
- Patients can self-refer.
- Referrals are also accepted from GP’s and other health and social care professionals.
- Only available to patients registered with a Southport and Formby GP.
- For adults age 65+
How do I speak to someone from these services?
Wheelchair Assessment Centre
91 Zetland Street
Tel: 01704 387216
Patient Information Leaflets
With our leaflets we aim to give you information about the Trust in general, our services and treatments, and to provide useful information for service users and their carers.