HMP Garth Healthcare Department
HMP Garth is a Category B men's prison, located in the village of Ulnes Walton, Lancashire. HMP Garth is situated next to HMP Wymott.
The Healthcare service helps promote the health and wellbeing of prisoners by providing the following services:
- GP and Nurse Practitioner Clinics with twenty-four hour GP and nursing support
- Nurse-led clinics such as: Well Mans, Smoking Cessation, Long-term illness management, blood borne virus/sexual health screening clinics, immunisation and vaccination, clonazepam review, bowel screening, blood clinics, delivery of medication
- Psychiatry Clinics
- Podiatry and Optician Clinics
- Retinal Screening Clinics
- Referrals to specialist either to 'outside' hospital, regional beds and Telemeds system
- Referrals to the cancer specialist service - domiciliary visits
- On-site Pharmacy Department
- Clinical support for the Segregation Unit - daily domiciliary nurse visits and three times a week GP domiciliary visits
- Clinical assessments for prisoners at first reception and upon arrival at the prison following transfer
- Discharge planning
- Reduction of self-harm
- Service User Forums
- Communicable disease control
How to access the service
To access any of the services that we provide in Healthcare the prisoner completes an application form which enables the individual to give a brief description of their health need or leave it blank if it is confidential. There are tick boxes which prompts the patient to tick for a GP, Nurse Practitioner or a Specialist.
There is a yellow form which allows the individual to tick for specialist services such as smoking cessation, well-man clinic, pharmacy requests, blood borne virus clinic and the Mental Health Team.
There is a blue form for the dental service.
Finally there is an orange form which allows the individual to raise any concerns regarding their care such as waiting list times, medication issues.
If the patient feels unwell and would like to see a Health Professional that day they can attend at treatment times (8am to 8.30am) and report sick. They will then be invited to Healthcare for an assessment by either a nurse, Nurse Practitioner or a GP if required.
Where this service is provided and how to contact us
All our services are provided form the Healthcare Department within HMP Garth. Patients are referred to the local hospitals which are Chorley & South Ribble District General Hospital and also the Royal Preston Hospital.
Tel: 01772 443300