Paediatric Occupational Therapy
Children’s Integrated Therapy Nursing Service - Occupational TherapyThe service’s aim to encourage a child to reach his/her maximum potential, achieving a level of independence appropriate to his/her age and environment.
The principle functions of the service are:
- Assessment and treatment of children and young people with difficulties that put their educational, social and emotional wellbeing at risk in the areas of personal care, work/ productivity and leisure, and is achieved through the use of adaptations and equipment and/or grading of activities relevant to the individual child.
- Education of parents/ carers/ school staff regarding the impact of their child’s need on access to activities of daily living.
- Advice and assessment in relation to Statements of Educational Needs
- Training for referrers regarding appropriate referrals in relation to a child’s needs and occupational therapy
How to Access this service:Current referral criteria: Age 0-18, or up to 19 if the child attends special school. Living within Lancashire Care catchment area with a GP within Lancashire care. Child has a specific functional difficulty which is limiting their ability to engage in activities of daily living, where their level of performance is not in line with their cognitive ability.
Currently referrals are accepted by professional specific trust referral form and via a CAF. Referrals can be made by any health, social care, education professional involved in the child’s care
Referrals are screened/triaged by an OT. The purpose of the screen is to decide if it is appropriate for the child to receive OT assessment. If it is felt appropriate then the child is added to the waiting list and allocated to an OT as capacity arises.
Where is the service provided from:Assessment and intervention is delivered in client’s homes, schools, nurseries and where available clinic centres including:
- Broadoaks Child Development Centre, Balcarres Road, Leyland, PR23 3ED. Telephone 01772 621062
- Acorns Health Centre, 421 Blackburn Road, Accrington, BB51RT. Telephone 01254 283814 or 01254 283815
- St Peter’s Centre, Church Street, Burnley, BB112LD. Telephone 01282 628359
Referrals are accepted at the following bases:
- Greater Preston - Minerva Health Centre: 01772 777318
- Chorley and South Ribble - Croston House: 01772 644498
- West Lancs: 01695 588123
- Hyndburn & Ribble Valley - Acorns: 01254 283814 or 01254 283815
- Burnley & Pendle - St Peter’s: 01282 628359
- Blackburn with Darwin - Daisyfield Mill: 01254 283103
Patient Information Leaflets
With our leaflets we aim to give you information about the Trust in general, our services and treatments, and to provide useful information for service users and their carers.