(Because life feels good in Lancashire!)
Lancashire is one of the most varied counties in the UK offering beautiful countryside with scenic landscapes, picturesque villages and charming stately homes. If that’s not your cup of tea then for big city lights we are within easy reach of both Manchester and Liverpool. The historic cities and towns of Lancashire such as Preston, Lancaster, and Blackburn offer plenty of opportunities whether your interests are cultural, eating out, or just simply the night life!
We are also next door to one of the most beautiful regions in the UK, the Lake District, which offers even more opportunities for those of you who like fell running, sailing or other outdoor sports.
If all that’s a bit vague then here are a sample of the sights and scenery of Lancashire:
- The Ribble Valley is an area of Lancashire designated as an “Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty”. Here you can walk through the stunning Forest of Bowland, visit the market towns of Clitheroe and Longridge, and eat some of the fresh local produce at award winning restaurants.
- If you’re a Downton Abbey fan (and don’t want to drive 200 miles to Wessex) come and get your period drama fix at Leighton Hall, Hoghton Tower, or Samlesbury Hall. Each has its own charming and historic interior, with many more stately homes and gardens to visit throughout Lancashire such as the 14th century Cistercian Abbey at Whalley.
- How about all you Lord of the Rings fans out there? Why not come and walk the beautiful J.R.R Tolkien trail, exploring 5.5 miles of the beautiful Ribble Valley surrounding Stonyhurst College, where the author spent a lot of his time working on the Lord of the Rings during the second world war
Lancashire is a fantastic place to bring up children. Away from the hustle and the bustle, but with of Preston, Blackpool and Manchester all within reach, there’s a lot to do! Family days out are plentiful:
- If your children are budding Zoologists, take them to see the Penguins, Lions and Orangutans at Blackpool Zoo. Or if your kids are more interested in being able to interact with the animals there’s Turbary Woods Owl and Birds of Prey Sanctuary along with plenty of other animal farms.
- Blackpool Pleasure beach is one of the best theme parks in the UK and Blackpool has the famous Golden Mile and non-stop seven day entertainment. If that’s not highbrow enough, then visit the Grade II listed Grand Theatre in Blackpool which puts on shows from the National Theatre to the Russian State Ballet and Ellen Kent’s Opera and Ballet International.
- In Preston there is the famous Guild Hall which hosts Comedy, Snooker Tournaments, Conventions and more.
- There are an almost endless number of places for a day out. For the adventurous you might want to try Go Ape in the woods at Rivington, where you can take the zip wire over the picturesque Rivington Reservoir. For quieter trips visit the Blackpool tramway or Bowland Wild Boar Park.
- If you count yourself as a foodie we have plenty of high quality restaurants including the Michelin Starred Northcote Restaurant in the stunning Ribble Valley. Northcote combines ingredients from its own gardens and from the many artisan producers of Lancashire to make truly local cuisine. Nearby farmers markets and cheesemakers make Lancashire a piece of foody heaven.
- Along with Northcotes, Lancashire has the highest rated Italian restaurant outside of London and Lancashire Tourism Awards Taste Lancashire Award winner 2016 in La Locanda; The Cartford Inn, recently voted Best Inn in Britain at the Great British Pub Awards; the Parkers Arms (Top 100 Gastropubs) and The Freemasons at Wiswell, the highest rated dining pub in the Waitrose Good Food Guide 2017.
The West Coast Main line keeps us easily connect with both London and Scotland!
As you can see Lancashire has a lot to offer, whether it’s in its surrounding countryside or its towns and Cities. If you want more information on why Lancashire is a wonderful place to live, try the Visit Lancashire web page.
If you have any other questions, feel free to get in touch with The Medical HR team