How can you help your child

    (expand submenu)

    How Can You Help Your Child

    The Local offer is an online resource that provides information on the support and guidance available to children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) aged 0 - 25 years and their families. 

    Lancashire County Council Local Offer

    Blackburn with Darwen Local Offer

    Sure Start Children’s Centres

    Did you know that Sure Start centres can give advice on child and family health and parenting? Many centres run child and parent groups focusing on communication development and how you can support your child at home. Follow the link below and find your nearest centre and see what they can offer.


    Advice Sheets

    Below are some advice sheets about how to develop your child’s speech and language skills at home. From encouraging early listening skills, breaking down complex instructions, taking turns to the essential nature of play. We hope these help you get started and feel like you are doing something that will really help.


    Really Useful Websites

    Below are links to a number of websites that provide practical guidance and support to parents. There are some on the My Child page you may also like to refer to. Some of the websites below are also aimed at providing information about older children who have communication difficulties and those who do not use speech as their main form of communication. 


    Cbeebies has a section on its website all about speech and language development. Discover what you can do to help your child learn to communicate with strategies to help children make themselves understood and express their feelings.

    This site has a number of really useful fact sheets about a range of topics such as iPad and tablet apps, lisps, speech sound development and using visual timetables. There is also a phone number you can ring to discuss your concerns and ask questions.

    This site has lots of resources for parents of pre-schoolers to 19 year olds. It has videos, packs of downloadable activities and again a phone line for additional support.

    Hanen is an organisation that helps parents of children with language delay and/or autism. They have created training packages for parents and have lots of helpful articles and advice sheets on their website.

    This sight will give you some helpful information about using Makaton signs and symbols. It will give you some examples, but will also explain why they can be of use to support the development of communication. We can provide Makaton training if your child’s therapist feels it is appropriate.

    The ACE Centre North provides advice and support to children and adults who use alternative forms of communication. They offer training, assessment and advice about alternative communication methods such as communication aids offering information sessions for parents and lots of useful materials.

    Communication Matters aims to increase understanding, awareness and knowledge of the needs of people with complex communication needs. This site also focuses on supporting people who use alternative forms of communication such as pictures or symbols.